Sunday, July 15, 2007

Overnight Shift with Drug Addicts


I just wanted to inform everyone that I am amazing. (That came off egotistical, didn't it?) Anyway, I have managed to stay awake, not even nodding off, during my overnight shift at the place I work! I am quite proud of myself! I work at a residential treatment center for teenage girls (and sometimes at the boy's house). To sum up my job, I work with drug addicts and alcoholics-- makes for some interesting time.
At the beginning of my shift, I had a confrontation with one of the girls. It got me all worked up and I was completely intimidated! After I barely held my own and stood my ground, I went and sat back in my chair and a thought hit me: how am I possibly intimidated or afraid of these girls? They're teenagers, for one thing, and have the maturity-level and thought-capacity of 10 year olds (if not younger). I'm 21 and strong and lucid and I have the power... and yet I get extremely overwhelmed and flustered when they start yelling at me and cussing me out. But I can handle it, it just takes a few minutes for my heart rate to return to normal.
Other than that, my shift has gone well and I've only had to call the on-call twice. That's good for it being my first time by myself! Okay, I just had to get that off my chest. Every time I go upstairs to do bed checks, I pray that they're all in bed... I don't know what I'd do if someone went AWOL. Cry, probably. I got overwhelmed with a girl cussing at me-- AWOL is a whole different story! Anyway, it's 4:50am and I'm wide awake... this is strange... you start to hear things and jump a lot easier with sounds, even normal ones like a cough... and you also ramble on your blogs... (Oh, and I found that picture and it's totally me! That book is the book of assignments and I'm sure my eyes look like that; the only difference is I'm drinking iced tea...)

3 comments:

Makeesha said...

good for you! I'm so proud.

Unknown said...

very amazing indeed :)

Kate said...

Mak and Paul- Thanks! :-D