Sunday, July 15, 2007

Are Diamonds a Girl's Best Friend or Man's Worst Enemy?

I was reading an article recently in the women's version of Relevant magazine (I'm drawing a blank on the name) and the article was about the conflict or "blood diamonds" that come out of Africa. The article did not make me aware of the issue-- I was already well aware of the issue, but it brought up a very interesting point. If everyone were to stop buying diamonds, what would it do to the African economy? That is their only real source of income in the country. Very interesting. But it must be weighed with the risk of people's live being at stake just to get those diamonds. It's not as simple as, what is more important: a nation's economy or people's lives because they are very intertwined. If an economy is suffering, the people are suffering, not just the one person; if someone is suffering for the diamonds, the economy is helped, which in turn helps more than just that one person. Kind of a dilemma, isn't it?
This issue has become a very important one since the presence of a diamond will soon (but not too soon) be on my hand. It has become more than a romantic issue, it has become a moral issue. Can I live with the knowledge that the diamond that sparkles on my finger has the possibility of having cost someone their life? I looked up the diamond market and it is a $60 billion industry (at least the figures I looked at). In the article I read, it said that only about 1% of the money that comes from the diamonds goes to fund conflict zones. Let's do the math... 1% of 60 billion is 60 million! Um... that's a lot. I had to do the math twice to make sure I did it right. $60 million is going to fund conflict zones-- no wonder there's such a problem! I can't imagine what I would do with $60 million-- buy a lot of guns and shoot people seems to be the answer to that question. I went into a diamond store at the mall in Fort Collins and asked them about their knowledge about conflict-free diamonds. The guy handed me a laminated piece of paper stating that the company claims it does not buy from sources that are known to fund conflict areas. Well, isn't that fine and dandy... but what about their sources source? And their source? Can they really trace their suppliers back that far? How can there be any guarantee? They can feel safe behind their 1% figure, but ignore what that really means (in case you forgot, it was $60 million).
So here is my answer to all of this: I don't think my not buying a diamond will devastate the African economy, so I will gladly and eagerly buy from a company that makes laboratory-made diamonds-- you can guarantee no one lost their lives or freedom to making those. I can admire the diamond on my hand a lot more knowing there isn't someone's blood behind it. (Also, it's a lot cheaper (and I mean a lot!) and really good quality!)
I am taking a stand against injustice. Even though the economy is supported by diamond exports, it is not worth it to support their economy when the risk is so high. Help support them in another way-- agriculture, building, etc. Employ the people and export goods that are handmade or at least grown in the country without slave labor. If we stop buying their diamonds, they will have to find some other way to support their people and their country, without it costing people their lives and freedom. I am doing what I feel is my duty and calling in this situation, and I do not look down or put down anyone who chooses to buy a diamond from a jewelry store. When i think about it, the injustice just makes that diamond a rock, and nothing more in my eyes. But that's my own conviction. I hope no one takes this issue lightly, but acts in their own accord and their own will in the decision of buying diamonds. Just don't forget the risk you are taking if you buy one from the store. And educate people about the problems as well, because a lot of times, people just don't know the problems that are going on. Talking and educating only made people smarter and more educated and knowledgable. So this is me teaching. I hope you took the time to listen.

2 comments:

emily said...

I know I am way late in posting this, but maybe if the African officials involved in the diamond trade realize that the rest of the world will not tolerate "blood diamonds" any longer they will be forced to supplement the economy in a much more humane way, thus, opening all kinds of doors for the African nations to flourish.

Kate said...

I totally agree! I am not buying diamonds any more for that reason! But the biggest issue is that diamonds are still in high demand and there are not enough people saying "no" to the diamonds that come from Africa to change anything. But that's how change happens--one person at a time... so who knows what will happen in the future!