Monday, March 30, 2009

The Rant of a Couch-Potato

I'm going through my yearly (maybe bi-monthly) crisis of identity where I start to question who I am, what I'm doing, where I am, where I'm going, who my friends are, who my family is... and it all gets jumbled around in my head and I start to close off and get frustrated with everything and everyone. Everything seems to annoy me, and people suddenly don't seem worth the time and effort.
Yesterday, Michael was playing bass for church and then went straight to a meeting, so I got to sleep in and I spent yesterday morning sitting on my couch watching stupid movies on tv, and didn't even take a shower at noon. And if I hadn't had to run errands and go to my parents' house for dinner, I probably wouldn't have moved much off the couch all day. But nothing seemed motivating. I mean, I didn't even knit while in my stupid-movie-stupor, which is surprising because knitting is something I enjoy doing while watching tv and movies! Especially when I've seen them before and I don't have to pay attention the entire time. I didn't call anyone to hang out with, because then I'd actually have to interact with people. And who to call is another question. The women I could have called were probably at church, which the thought of right now makes my stomach churn, and my other friends don't live close-by.
I guess I'm just feeling down. I went to my sister's event to raise awareness about human trafficking on Saturday through the Not For Sale campaign, so joy for life kinda left me this weekend. It was a bit more intense than I anticipated...
That event showed me, yet again, that I truly desire to live for something bigger than myself, but I don't know what that looks like. Does it mean something overseas, through a NGO, through more schooling to become a counselor of some sort? I DON'T KNOW! And it's killing me! I don't know who I want to be or what I want to live for because there are so many issues out there, and only so little time and money. I want to impact people's lives, but it's distressing to me that I don't know what that looks like for me.
I met with a friend for coffee last week, and she sat there telling me about her new vision for her life was to start a school. I have no desire to associate myself with anything in the education system, but I felt a pang of envy as she spoke about how the dream had become clear to her and she had already gotten the ball rolling by telling people about it and finding people who were interested... I sat there thinking, "I want to start something or be a part of something I'm so sure about and passionate about; if only I knew what that was." I'm excited for my friend, but at the same time, I feel depressed about it.
I wish it were me sitting at that table telling her about my new vision and purpose in life. Because right now, my only purpose is to show up to work (which I don't really enjoy), get a paycheck, and make sure Michael doesn't freak out and burn the church down. I feel like I'm constantly waiting for things to happen, but they don't, or they do but cause more waiting to happen. I waited to graduate, I then waited to get married, then I waited to figure out what the hell I was going to do for a job, then I have to wait to figure out what I really want to do with my life now that I'm making a steady paycheck, and I'm also waiting for Michael to finish school so I can possibly pursue my dream of working at a non-profit. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I want life and my dreams to finally catch up, but they seem stuck in stand-by mode.
My life is bigger than I am. I know that. I feel it deep down. But how I can express that and pursue that... that's the big question.
So thanks for listening to my processing rant. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow with a clear sense of what the hell I'm doing... or I might just have to keep waiting...

3 comments:

Ali said...

So I was sitting here pretty much all day waiting for an amazingly enlightening something to say to you to inspire you and I came up with..... nothing. haha. I would say I can empathize with the frustration of waiting. I would say that I know what you are going through, but no one can really know that exactly. I would say I know that God has a plan for your life, but I know you know that already and that isn't helpful at all. So here it is.... I'm sorry. I'm sorry it sucks! It does. And I am here for you to listen to you or process with you. I'm praying for you, oh and I love you :-D

emily said...

Dear Katie.
I'm kind of an internet creeper, but I get really bored at work sometimes and remembered one day that you had a blog and so I like reading it--you're quite interesting.

I feel like in a lot of ways I'm in the same boat as you (although we are at very different points in our lives...) but something I've been thinking about for a while now is whether our passion is innate and inherent or if we are responsible for creating it. I haven't figured it out and don't know that I ever will. Just so you know, though, I really appreciate who you are and the few times we get to see each other you have definitely been meaningful to me. Whether it was when we were small kiddos or growing up. I think you are a fabulous person and even while you've been waiting for big things to happen you are and have been a very meaningful person in my own life.

-MZ

Holly said...

Katie,
Please don't feel bad for feeling this way! I think I go through the same cycle you are talking about. Especially now, after college, it is hard to think that I am not working toward something, I am just working. I think God is trying to teach me to be satisfied with right now, and not wish that I was in the next thing, because some day I will wish that I was 22 years old and working in a vet clinic. I know that you don't love what you are doing right now, but that doesn't mean you are doing nothing. You influence more people than you think! I don't know Emily, but I agree with her-you have touched my life! I love you and I am so blessed to have you as my friend!
Love ya!
Holly