Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Processing the Character of God

I was sitting in church on Sunday and the sermon was about making a New Year's Resolution to focus your resolutions and life on the character of God. It was pretty interesting and it made me think. I was processing about it later, I started thinking about the character of God that is seen in the Old Testament versus the God we see today. God didn't hesitate to bring down fire and brimstone on a community that had lost their focus on God. Why doesn't that happen today? Why don't we seem to see God's wrath in the world today? Is it too easily dismissed as something else, like mother nature, terrorists, etc? Or has God changed the way He reacts and interacts with humans? I know Jesus came down to redeem humanity, so does that mean God's wrath no longer is brought down on earth? And what about miracles? I know they happen now and then, but what happened to people being healed left and right, all in the name of God/Jesus? All these questions make me wonder, I know that God doesn't change, but can/did He change how He interacted and dealt with humanity?
I'm not really looking for an answer, but an opportunity to process the character of God. I hope all of you find God this year and your life and your relationship with God and others is transformed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i often wonder that too and haven't found an answer as such as yet either. The closest i've come is thinking about it as an unfolding narrative, a cosmic drama, which moves from overture to dramatic opening scene, into tragedy, into redemption story, a story of love, of searching, of gathering one by one, first a man, than a family, then a nation, then the whoe world...

wishing you a wonderful ongoing wonder, unfolding revelation and a great 2008!