Thursday, January 25, 2007

Not a Book Review... okay, maybe it kinda-sorta is

I apparently read a lot more than "normal" people do. I never thought it was that much-- just something to help me fall asleep at night and pass the time during down-time in the day. Because I like to read, I tend to read one novel and one theological/religious book (okay, maybe that is a lot). I just finished an amazing book, Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell, which is one of the best books EVER! I then picked up Brennan Manning's book, Ruthless Trust. It's the sequel to another amazing book, Ragamuffin Gospel. I just started it today while I was waiting for my last class (I have 30 minutes between classes...) and I didn't even get through the introduction before I was wanting to yell, "YES!" at the book and what he was saying. What he wrote was exactly what I am going through currently and what my church is currently teaching on. I thought this was amazing and interesting and also another person involved in trying to break the mold and traditions of church. This is a lot of babbling... I'll write it now. Enjoy!

"She knows that Jesus is comfortable with broken people who remembers who to love."

"Alert to the manipulations and machinations of the pharisaical self-righteousness, ragamuffins refuse to surrender control of their lives to rules and regulations. They see that the stale religiosity of legalists, trapped in the fatal narcissism of spiritual perfectionism, obscures the face of the God of Jesus."
-Brennan Manning, Ruthless Trust, pg. xiv
What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Further insights?

2 comments:

David said...

Great post.
Great comment Paul.

Heck all I was going to say was "I agree!" Of course. What church do you go to anyway. ;-)

Kate said...

Very good question to ponder, Paul! I will definately have to think about it... I'll comment again later with my thoughts. Oh, and David, I go to this church with some pretty crazy pastors... I'm not exactly sure what to think about them ;-)