Friday, January 2, 2009

Boredom Results in Blogging

Yeah, you know how I said I was busy at work... well, today is not one of those days. I don't know why I didn't ask for the day off. This day is absolutely miserable! At the beginning of the day, there were only 12 people, including myself, in the office (there are usually 25). And right now there are 5... And my boss is gone so I can't ask to close down the doors and leave early. I feel like I should take Monday off just to make up for having to be here all day today. But it's days like this that I realize I could never work as a receptionist/admin. assistant my entire life. Because this isn't the first time I've had to stay all freaking day when everyone else is allowed to go home. And if I did this as my career, I would be stuck having days like this the rest of my life! And it's also days like this that I end up blogging like crazy because I have run out of things to do-- I have read everything, looked up everything, and even re-read things. I get desperate and I can't think of anything else to do!
This was a useless post, but I feel a bit annoyed that people seem to forget about me and don't consider that when there are 5 people in the office, there's no point in having our doors open (oh, and did I mention the phone has rang a total of 3 times today, and one was a wrong number... yeah, that's been my day...) and that I really don't have anything to do on days like today. Everyone else is salary and being there just in case the phone rings a 4th time is not on their priority list. So they can leave whenever they darn well please. Yeah... I could never do this as a career...

1 comment:

William Cooper said...

Kate, my wife (who I call Native New Yorker in my site) did the same thing - Admin Assistant. Once she had our first child, she never went back to work. Not saying the housewife thing is your cup of tea or not (NNY actually likes it!) - but only making a point that you aren't the only one who felt like that. She hated that job with a passion!