Monday, April 14, 2008

Would a Little Boy Read the Princess Book?

Okay, this blog is just to vent. I have become more aware of gender equality, as well as being a human development major, I am more in-tune with the genderization (is that a word?) of children. Anyway, as I've mentioned before, I work at Barnes and Noble. I occasionally work back in the children's section-- it has it's good and it's very bad moments. However, I am here to vent on books that are on our shelves. Each one is a foam book, cut into the shape of the person on the front and the occuaption they have. There are 6 of them-- a cowboy, a fairy, a astronaut, a ballerina, a doctor, and a princess. I'll bet you can guess that the fairy is not a boy. I just look at those books and think, "No wonder girls don't think they can be doctors-- their earliest books are telling them they can't be!" It makes me angry! But I can't do anything about it. If I threw them away, not only would I get in HUGE trouble, but they'd just order more! Okay, I'm glad I got that off my chest!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i've always wanted to be a fairy :)