Thursday, March 22, 2007

"Amazing Grace" is AMAZING!!

A couple of weeks ago, my roommate, Holly, and I had tried to go see the movie, "Amazing Grace," except that about 40 minutes into it, the power in the entire movie complex went out! Needless to say, we were devistated! After only 40 minutes I was already set to buy the movie when it comes out on video! Anyway, we finally go to go see the entire movie last night and I was in awe the entire time! It was a fabulous movie! I highly recommend the movie if you get a chance to see it!
The entire movie was so motivating for me! The perseverence of William Wilburforce and the undying passion he had was mind-blowing! He believed so strongly in the abolition of slavery, even though there was so much going against him. Slavery has been around since forever (it's in the Bible for crying out loud!)... that alone would be enough for me to not want to go against it! God gave him the purpose and call on his life to be the voice behind the abolition of slavery. I liked that the movie showed that just because he knew that that was what God called him to, it was not always easy to continue fighting for what he believed in. But he continued to fight, even when his health was deteriorating. After decades of fighting for the cause, God finally opened the door to make all of his work worthwhile. I have to admit that I bawled at the end! All of that work and he could go home and sleep and rest well knowing his mission for the abolition of slavery was complete! I can't imagine that kind of relief! What's even greater is that once he was done fighting that battle, he continued to battle more injustices he saw. He never stopped fighting, never stopped walking in the calling God put on his life. What an amazing man!
His life shows how, with a lot of work and perseverence, we can change the world! In the movie, one of the characters says, "If you make the world better in one way, it becomes better in every way." Whoa! What a concept! We need to listen to what God is calling us to and follow that call with all of our hearts and being. We need to fight the fight set before us, never stopping. It may take minutes, it may take decades... however long it takes, we need to maintain the strength in God and rely on Him and others to help us in whatever cause or problem or whatever. I am so energized by the thought of the possibilities of what could change, with one person's voice and the strength God has given them. We can change the world, one fight of injustice at a time!
Oh, so I'm a movie-quote-aholic and I'm a total loser in the fact that as I was watching the movie, I had my little notebook out and a pen ready for all of the great and inspirational quotes in the movie. So I wrote a few down and I thought I'd share them with you! Here they are:
~ "It is a sad fate for a man to die too well known to everybody else, and still unknown to himself."-- Francis Bacon (quoted by Richard the butler)
~ "We're too young to realize that certain things are impossible, but we do them anyways." -- Pitt
~ "Will you use your voice to praise God or change the world?" -- (don't remember)
~ "Sometimes God does his work with a slight drizzle, not a stone." -- John Newton
~ "He's an optimist-- completely incurable!"-- Richard the butler
~ "I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great savior!" -- John Newton

GO SEE THE MOVIE!! IT'S FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're a movie quote fan, you'll like the Reel Life Wisdom website. New and inspirational quotes there every day.

Danimal said...

Interesting sychronisty moment. A day after seeing this movie, I met a guy who made his own laudlum (the opiate William Wilburforce was on)... Yeah he was also in the social service industry... all so odd.

But a great movie.

Anonymous said...

sometimes god does his work with a drizzle, not a storm (not stone??)